We Do Not Handle Immigration or Citizenship Issues

Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management does not handle immigration or citizenship issues.

Immigration and citizenship are both under the authority of the federal government, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.


U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
National Customer Service Center: 1-800-375-5283
(1-800-767-1833 TTY/TDD for hearing- and speech-impaired)
Service is available in both English and Spanish.

Contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services if you wish to:

  • Apply to become a U.S. citizen
  • Check the case status of you or someone else
  • Bring a member of your family/fiance to live in the U.S.
  • File an affidavit of support form (I-864)
  • Get proof of your U.S. citizenship/replace a lost certificate of citizenship
  • Replace a lost/damaged green card
  • Help your child (biological or adopted) obtain U.S. citizenship
  • Adopt a child
  • Get information about traveling abroad

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)

Please contact U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) with any detainee-related questions or issues. For information about detainees currently in ICE custody, use the “Detainee Locator” tool at the ICE website. 

You may also contact the field office in charge of operations in Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota:

ICE Office of Detention and Removal Operations
St. Paul Field Office
2901 Metro Dr., Suite 100
Bloomington, MN 55425
(952) 853-2550

To report suspicious activity to ICE, call 1-866-347-2423.