We are Iowa HSEMD
Maximizing resources to prepare for all hazards
Working to make Iowa prepared for an emergency or disasteR since 1965.
The Iowa Strategy for Homeland Security and Emergency Management 2018-2020 guides strategic and policy decisions regarding the allocation of limited resources that protect citizens and property within the state.
View the full HSEMD Strategy document.
Lead, coordinate, and support homeland security and emergency management functions in order to establish sustainable communities and ensure economic opportunities for Iowa and its citizens.
Emergency Management Structure in Iowa
The structure of homeland security and emergency management in Iowa begins with the governor, who holds the responsibility for protecting Iowa’s citizens. The governor appoints the Iowa homeland security advisor and the director of the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEMD). The HSEMD director serves as the state administrative agent for grants administered by the federal government.
Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management is the coordinating body for homeland security and emergency management activities across the state. In addition to HSEMD, the advisor relies on an advisory committee for information to assist in the decision-making process.
Homeland Security Advisory Committee (HSAC)
The purpose of the Homeland Security Advisory Committee (HSAC) is to advise Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management on how to strengthen existing homeland security assets and first responder specialty teams. Members of the committee are chosen based on their experience and expertise. View the HSAC Charter in PDF format.
HOMELAND SECURITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
1. Iowa Homeland Security Advisor
2. Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship
3. Iowa Department of Education
4. Iowa Department of Human Services
5. Iowa Department of Natural Resources
6. Iowa Department of Public Health
7. Iowa Department of Public Safety- Fusion Center
8. Iowa Department of Transportation – Motor Vehicle Enforcement
9. Iowa Disaster Human Resource Council
10. Iowa Emergency Management Association
11. Iowa Geographic Information Council (IGIC)
12. Iowa National Guard
13. Iowa Statewide Interoperable Communications System Board
14. Office of the Chief Information Officer
15. Safeguard Iowa Partnership
OUR SENIOR TEAM
7900 Hickman Road,
Windsor Heights, IA 50324